This page provides links to many of the topics of information that garden clubs and their members need. Explanations and details about the programs are included, as well as required forms.
VFGC Life Membership/Book of Honor
This tax-deductible $50 donation, given to honor club members, friends, and associates, is used by VFGC for Scholarships. The honorees for Life Membership receive a life membership pin and card. Book of Honor honorees will receive a card. All honorees will be listed in the Permanent Record Books housed in the VFGC Headquarters in Richmond.
Application Form (2019-2021)- WORD or PDF
South Atlantic Region Life Membership
The South Atlantic Region Life Membership tax-deductible $50 donation is used for the SAR Scholarship Fund. SAR Life Membership pins may also be ordered for an additional fee. To obtain the application for SAR Life Membership, contact your District Life Membership Chairman or visit www.southatlanticeregiongardenclubs.org
National Garden Clubs Life Membership
This tax-deductible $200 donation, given to honor club members, friends, and associates, is used by NGC for its Scholarship Fund and for the publication, The National Gardener. The recipient of this life membership receives a lifetime subscription to The National Gardener. NGC Life Membership pins are available in sterling, gold fill or gold plate from Member Services. To obtain the application for NGC Life Membership, contact your District NGC Life Membership Chairman or visit www.gardenclub.org
- Yearbook Sponsor Form (2019-2021) – WORD or PDF
- Dogwood Society Contribution Form (2017-2019) – WORD or PDF
- Photo Permission Form for Youth – WORD or PDF
- VFGC Officer Application Form (2019-2021) – WORD or PDF
- Information on how to write or revise Bylaws, Standing Rules and Articles of Association – WORD or PDF
For Club Treasurers
VFGC Dues for the year June 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020 will be due by May 31. Dues notice and roster are mailed to all Club Presidents. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Ward firstname.lastname@example.org, VFGC Treasurer.
VFGC Dues are $5.00* per member and should be paid by May 31 of each year. Dues of new members are payable immediately up until February 1.
New members who join after February 1 should be sent with VFGC dues and Club Roster form by May 31.
*VFGC members voted on an amendment to raise VFGC dues to $5.00 at the 2016 Convention.
For Club Presidents
For VFGC Officers and Chairmen
Old Dominion Gardener, the quarterly publication of the Virginia Federation of Garden Clubs, is now ONLINE. The online version is full color and contains more photos than the printed copy.
Awards list and requirements for application for VFGC, South Atlantic Region and National Garden Clubs
Blue Star Memorial Marker Program dedications and new aspects of the program in Virginia, as well as ordering and restoration information.
National Garden Clubs current projects and updates
IRS 501(c)(3) Group Exemption requirements for clubs that wish to be included in the VFGC Group Exemption.
Did your club not receive a donation because it doesn’t have IRS 501(c)(3) status that gives the donor a tax deduction?
Was your club denied participation in an event because it doesn’t have IRS 501(c)(3) status?
Would your club like to have IRS 501(c)(3) status but it’s too costly and time-consuming to apply?
Join VFGC’s IRS Group Exemption at NO COST to your club.
What does the IRS 501(c)(3) status mean to your individual club?
- Individual and corporate donors are more likely to support organizations with 501(c)(3) status because their donations can be tax deductible.
- Recognition of exemption under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS assures foundations and other grant-making institutions that they are issuing grants or sponsorships to permitted beneficiaries.
- Your club will not have to file a federal tax return unless your gross income is over $50,000. Occasionally you may receive a letter from the IRS asking you to verify that your income is still below this level.
- If your club were to apply for 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, your cost for filing would be $300 or more; and the paperwork is extensive. VFGC is offering to make application to the IRS for a group exemption for any of its clubs that want the 501(c)(3) designation and pay the $900 fee. There will be NO COST to your club.
Contact the VFGC Treasurer, Kathy Ward email@example.com for more information on the VFGC IRS Group Exemption and to receive the application forms.
Annual Requirements if Your Club is a Subordinate in the VFGC 501(C)(3)Group Exemption
- By SEPTEMBER 1 of each year:
- Notify VFGC Treasurer of change in contact information
- Notify VFGC Treasurer if the club no longer wishes to be a subordinate
- Submit the club’s year-end financial report and next year’s budget
- Acknowledge, in writing, any contributions to your club of $250 or more*
- MUST file appropriate IRS form as follows by OCTOBER 15 (must be received by the IRS by this date)—VFGC will NOT file these forms for you
- e-Postcard 990 if the club’s annual gross income is less than or equal to $50,000
- 990 tax form if the club’s annual gross income is over $50,000 by October 15** (It must be received by the IRS by this date)
NOTE: VFGC can lose its own 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status if you fail to submit a tax return.